Oxcart Day! ~ Día del Boyero, San Antonio de Escazú, Costa Rica
This is a colorful festival celebrated every second Sunday of March in the town of San Antonio de Escazu in Costa Rica called Dia de los Boyeros or the Oxcart Driver’s Day, children are dressed with the typical suits of the place that creates a farmer ambient. The festivity features a lively parade of painted and decorated oxcarts.
• The oxcarts are skillfully handpainted with spectacular and elaborate patterns of flowers, sun, stars and a kaleidoscope of colors which gives each oxcarts a unique character.
• Over a hundred of decorated and painted oxcarts paraded the main avenue by the Boyeros.
• Escazu farmers put all their efforts in painting and decorating the carts with the determination of not only to win the competition but to also maintain their tradition alive.
• A boyero or oxcart driver guide each cart with the hope of winning in the various oxcart competition.
• It is also the time when a priest came to bless the crops and animals the farmers brought during the parade.